This is a great take on a classic chicken salad. We love chicken salad but I have actually never really liked mayo so I have always stayed away from “wet” chicken salad. This recipe is a great solution to that. The avocado is a great taste addition but it also makes the dish much healthier by eliminating the need for mayo. Like most of my recipes this is one that I encourage people to modify to their liking. If you like spicier foods a jalapeno is a great addition here.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes||Cook Time: 10 minutes||Total Time: 30 minutes|
- 4 avocados
- 1 bell pepper (you can use any pepper of your liking here)
- 1 red onion (If red onions are too strong for your liking here, you can use other varieties to include green onions)
- 4-5 celery stalks
- 1 pound of lean chicken cooked and diced (slow cooked and shredded works very well too) Fresh cilantro cut up finely (I really like cilantro so my advice is to use as little or as much as you like)
- 1 lime for its juice
- 1 tablespoon of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
I find that using my Kitchen Aid mixer works best for me, but you can
easily mix this by hand as well.
- Grill/cook the chicken to completion. Then cut up to a size you personally like.
- Dice all of the vegetables to sizes you would like in a chicken salad (for me it’s smaller then a dime for everything)
- Put the avocado into the mixer (or cut up small pieces if you are mixing by hand)
- Now mix all of the diced vegetables, the cilantro, the lime juice, garlic, and salt with the avocado
- Now mix in all the diced/shredded chicken
You can eat this on lettuce wraps, on top of an omelet, etc. It’s very good and you’ll never want to make chicken salad with mayo again.
Nutritional Facts Per Serving
|Total Fat: 22.4g||Saturated Fat: 3.6g|
|Carb: 15.8g||Sodium: 864mg|
|Fiber: 10g||Cholesterol: 64mg|
|Sugar: 2.8g||Protein: 26.7g|