As a person of Italian ancestry I will openly admit I am biased towards Italian food. With that, I also know most Italian food isn’t the best option if you are trying to cut carbs or loose weight. I have made it a goal to regularly take some of my favorite recipes from life and make them lighter and healthier. My wife and I are both big fans of shrimp scampi but we also know it isn’t the healthiest dish. Well, that changes here. I have made this recipe numerous times and for friends and family. It is a hit. It’s very simple to make and can be completed in about 1 hour (with 2/3 of that time in the oven). Please give it a try and send us some feedback.
Makes 4 Servings
|Prep Time: 10 minutes||Cook Time: 50 minute5||Total Time: 60 minutes|
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Pound of peeled and cleaned shrimp
- 4-5 Garlic cloves
- 1 Shallot (diced)
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup of fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 Cup of vegetable or chicken broth (low sodium)
- 2 Tbsp of butter
- 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 1/2 Tsp of salt
- 1/2 Tsp of pepper
- 1/4 Cup of fresh parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut your spaghetti squash in half (the long way) and deseed it.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray of choice and place the cleaned spaghetti squash on it’s flat side (face down). Cooking this way will allow the moisture to steam the squash.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.
- While it is baking, you can cut and prep your additional ingredients.
- Once the spaghetti squash is finished cooking, use a fork to pull the “spaghetti” strands and set aside in a bowl.
- In a large frying pan melt the butter and add the olive oil and shallot.
- Once hot, place the shrimp in and cook until just pink (about 3 minutes) then add the garlic. Cook for an additional 30-45 seconds then remove just the shrimp and place in a bowl.
- Next add all of the other ingredients (except the parmesan cheese) into the pan and cook until reduced by half (use additional salt and pepper to taste at this point).
- Once the sauce is reduced add the spaghetti squash and parmesan cheese.
- Cook for about a minute and then re-add the shrimp.
- Turn the heat off and just mix the entire dish together.
- Serve and garnish with additional fresh parsley.