This is a recipe for a very hearty, healthy, and Paleo chili. Let me start by saying, I was quite skeptical about substituting sweet potatoes for beans in chili. The first time I made this chili, I really wasn’t expecting to love it as much as I do. This recipe isn’t very spicy so adjusting the spices and peppers to your tastes is encouraged. I have made this with jalapeno peppers as well and it was very good.
|Prep Time: 10 minutes||Cook Time: 60 minutes||Total Time: 1 hour & 10 minutes|
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes. They should be peeled and cut into about 1″ cubes.
- 16 oz ground turkey or chicken
- 3 links of chicken or turkey sweet Italian sausage links
- 2.5 cups of tomato sauce
- 12 oz of tomato paste
- 1 cup diced green bell peppers
- 1 cup diced red onions
- 3 tablespoons of paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups of water
- In a large skillet, brown the ground turkey/chicken and the sausage together.
- While the browning of the meat is happening, add the onions, peppers, and spices to the skillet as well. Continue cooking until the meat is browned.
- In a large pot, add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and water. I usually wait to turn the heat on until the meat is almost finished.
- Once the meat is finished, add that to the pot.
- Cook on high until boiling and continue to stir the mixture until consistent. Boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the stove down to medium. Continue cooking for about 15 minutes.
- Now add the sweet potatoes and thoroughly mix into the chili.
- Continue cooking for another 30 minutes and serve.
Nutritional Facts Per Serving
|Total Fat: 10.4g||Saturated Fat: 2.3g|
|Carb: 25.7g||Sodium: 565mg|
|Fiber: 4.9g||Cholesterol: 61.2mg|
|Sugar: 10.8g||Protein: 21.6g|